18 August 2008

i am an olympian!

i've been feeling a bit less than what i should lately. like i'm getting old and not getting anywhere. argh. i'm obsessed with the olympics and as i've watched them unfold this year from my bed, laptop...on my...lap (thus it's name) popping ibuprofen in order to calm my adult onset aches and pains, i've realized that i will never be in an olympic games and that sucks. why have i wasted my life away!!!! i'll never do anything cool.... but then i realized....

in the 5th grade i got to skip math class and read to the kindergartners because i was so damned good at math. i had a friend, matthew, who was super ultra damned smart... he was widely known as the smartest kid in our grade. he was soooo good at math. i loved to go to his house because he had all kinds of wires, switches, solar cells... we would build little electronic gadgets and talked about becoming astronauts or scientists. in the 6th grade there was a math olympiad (see.... it's coming full circle) to see who would get to represent our school in seattle at the statewide competition. i competed in this "olympics of math" and was elated when the winners were announced... i had won first place (see the metal plaque.... of course i still have it... i keep everything.) and my friend matthew, the super genius got second!



and so with this realization, i can rest easy and mark that off my list of things to do in my life. i am an olympic champion! maybe i'll spray paint my plaque gold and attach it to a ribbon so i can wear my olympic bling around town.

4 comments:

alana.rachelle said...

haha that's awesome! i did math olympiad too! haha wow that seems very dorky of me to admit! should i be ashamed? probably. am i? just a little bit! ;)

Michelle said...

I think you should put it around your neck and wear it around town!

CarolSLC said...

I love this story. Very nicely done! Whatever happened to Matthew...

brie said...

Hoooooly shit. You're more of a nerd than I ever thought. However, you still have one up on me, because I'm not an olympian, but I'm proud of the fact I can sorta maybe not sure do 5th grade math without brushing up first. I think.

Yay for Racher posting more!